The Morning Star Is Now Available!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Eating My Words

Well, I'm going to do it.  I'm going indie. For those of you who don't know what that means, I'm not starting an indie rock band.  No, I've decided to join the revolution and independently publish my novels.  Until recently, I would have never gone this way as I believed the acquire-an-agent-who-secures-a-publisher route was the gold standard for publication.  In fact, when I received a press release from someone promoting a self-published book at the magazine a few years ago, I dismissed it. When my coworkers, who have very little interest in the world of publishing, asked why I didn't think highly of self-published books, I explained it to them this way:  It's like paying for sex.  If a guy was really hot, he could probably hook up with any babe he wants because of his attractiveness.  But if he wasn't so hot, he'd probably have to pay for the favors.  If a book was really good, publishers would be fighting over it, but if it wasn't, the writer would have to pay to get it into print. 

But things have changed.  And I must eat my words.  Due to a very busy few years, I've not really paid attention to what was happening in the publishing industry, but with the advent of technology like the Kindle, the way we write, sell, distribute, buy, and read books is changing.  Presently, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about this exciting new opportunity.  As I progress through this process, I hope you'll join me.   I think my first release will be "Not Every Girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment