The Morning Star Is Now Available!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 5 - St. Anne's Day Soiree VIP Launch Party

Happy Sunday, Anne Fans!

Since it is Sunday, and you may be heading to your church today, I thought I'd share with you some of the St. Anne churches from around the world.


This church, St. Anne's in Jerusalem is supposed to be where it all began.  It is located near the Via Dolorosa, or the way of the cross,  and is believed to have been built over a grotto that was supposed to commemorate the site where St. Anne was born.  It was built in 1138 and is administered bye the White Fathers, and although located in Jerusalem, it belongs to France, as it was presented to Napoleon III after the Crimean Wars.

This church dedicated to St. Anne is a bit more ornate.  It is Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre in Quebec, Canada.  It reminds me of Notre Dame in Paris.


 
In the novel, Peg is one of the main characters, and she shares many of the traits of my two grandmothers and great-grandmother.  And if my memory serves me correctly, my great-grandmother traveled to this shrine when I was a little girl.

As you will learn in tomorrow's blog, St. Anne and France go together like crepes and fromage.  Sainte-Anne d'Auray is a major pilgrimage site in the Brittany region of France.  This large basilica was built in the mid-nineteenth century to honor St. Anne who is the patroness of Brittany. 


There are numerous churches named after St. Anne around the world.  Is there a St. Anne's church in your area?  I know there is one where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment