The Morning Star Is Now Available!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Knowing Your Limits

Hi Reader!

One aspect of wisdom that some acquire with age is knowing your limits.  So many people today tell us that warm, fuzzy platitude:  You can do anything you want.  Not to rain on your parade, but that's not really true.  I'm all for shooting for the stars, but you also have to be realistic.  When I was growing up, I wanted to be the first female NHL player--even though I couldn't skate.  I eventually realized my limitations, that I would never be a hockey star, but I resigned myself that I could still be a fan.

Aristotle said: Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. One person who could have used a little of that wisdom is the woman in Spain who was recently in the news.  Perhaps you have heard about her?  She was the elderly woman who attempted to "restore" the century-old painting of Christ.  She had no training, and as far as I know, she hadn't even slept at a Holiday Inn. But take a look at her handiwork:

Courtesy of the AP

She must have trained at the Mr. Bean School of Art Restoration. 






There are reports that she was quite elderly so I won't be too hard on her, but this illustrates my point--it's great to dream, but know your limits. --

We can't all be good at everything.  There is no shame in backing off from a task that you are not equipped to carry out.  For instance, writers, unless you are a grammar guru, you may want to hire an editor.  Unless you are familiar with word processing programs, it might be wise to hire a formatter.  Unless you are a graphic designer or are willing to invest the time to learn the craft, you may want to consider hiring someone to do your cover. S

If you are looking for someone to do a cover for you, I hear tell there's a very talented Spanish woman who works very cheaply.

No comments:

Post a Comment